Wednesday, 18 March 2015

My experiments with Homework

Having exposed to various ways of bringing up a child to be confident,brave.,all that a mother would want a child to be, I brought many of the ideas to practicality, though outwitted each time by my subject of experiment. 
She was in pre kg, when I started to use one of the ideas to make her to write neatly in her 4lined notebook.'dear, you have to touch the lines and write else the alphabets would cry'. Having known her empathetic nature, l knew I had succeeded. That was my first and probably the last victory.
Getting her, rather coaxing her to sit her down for homework was getting difficult with each passing day.    
I bring in a role play model to get her onto work. She being the teacher and me the obvious and the only student. The play would go on and on,with her portrayal of the teacher in command very diligently. I would keep prompting 'ma'am now shall we write in that book(homework book)'. Pat would come the reply 'children, teachers don't do hw' or something like 'you shouldn't talk when the teacher is talking'. Remember I was the student. 2 hours of unsuccessful role play ended with me calling it off. Though I didn't achieve my goal, I realised how well she got into the character,her observation power.
One such incident stands out fresh in mind. I was getting beaten up with each such trial, I thought of a different game plan. Plan B: 'if you don't start with the writing work,mama will leave the house '. I thought why not give a real feel, so I go out of the door, keeping an eye on her from the window at the back. She gets up, rumbles all the books on the table. I was almost feeling emphatic and started to go when I realized she was looking for the remote to switch on the tv. I was determined not to call off and waited to see how it's going to unfold. Madam was enjoying a cartoon when a phone call breaks my monotonous wait. She picks up and starts sobbing 'momma has left Home . I didn't do my homework and she left Home'. Just can't imagine what the caller might be imagining. Finally the seriousness of the situation descends on her. 'I will do my homework TODAY, please bring her back'. The mom in me rushed to sooth the crying child. It was a partial success as she had promised to do her work for only that day. I relentlessly have tried many tricks on her, though with partial success, but has helped me to identify her other talents. My experiences have taught me that success doesn't always mean achieving the goal, but accepting all that life throws on us.

No comments:

Post a Comment